CHRISTIAN ACTORS TRAINING
Instructor: Dr. Jamee H. Kennedy, BFA, MA, Ed.D.
Phone: 512.458.6872 (o) 512.632.9224 (c)
Classes are held every Tuesday evening from 7:00-9:00pm
Classes run for 10 weeks starting January 26th through April 5th.
NEW LOCATION! Highland Park Baptist Church, 5206 Balcones Dr, Austin Tx 78731, Room 225 (Use the back parking lot and follow the Directional signs.)
Cost is $15 Per Class, or $100 for the 10-week semester
Course Content – This course is the application of concepts and techniques in Beginning Acting Theory and Performance. The course will include acting terminology, use of the body, voice, improvisation, character and script analysis, the rehearsal process and scene study. Course activities will range from warm-up games to improvisation to scene study techniques. This course is participation based. All students will be expected to engage, demonstrate and actively participate in the activities and concepts of the course in every class.
Texts and Materials
- Acting is Believing. McGraw, Stilson and Clark -11th Edition -Strongly Recommended.
- Rentals of various film, television, and theatre productions as assigned.
- PC or MAC with email correspondence capability and printer
- Tickets to films and/or local live productions, and other performances as applicable and recommended.
- 8X11 notebook or laptop for class notes and record keeping.
- Photo copies of Scripts/Scripts as needed.
- Scanner/printer/email/fax/paper/smart phone
- Comfortable appropriate clothing and shoes (sneakers)
- Costume/props/set peices as needed.
Additional Class Information for Interested Home School Students
- Beginning Acting I is appropriate for students 15 and up and adults.
- Home school students can easily be accommodated and earn ½ Fine Arts Credit. Please see the Class Policy Addendum.
Course Objectives for Beginning Acting I
- Students will demonstrate confidence, relaxed countenance and composure onstage.
- Students will demonstrate and utilize a variety of warm up games and techniques prior to performances.
- Students will demonstrate use of the body and voice to communicate, text, emotion and character objectives.
- Students will demonstrate, via improvisation games, critical thinking and performance skills.
- Students will create and perform an original performance focusing on physical action /communication.
- Students will analyze, create and perform complex characters in scene studies.
- Students will establish a practical and effective rehearsal process, including, script and character analysis, collaborative working relationships, memorization techniques, preview work and performance.
- Students will collaborate and critique constructive evaluations of their own work and the work of others.
- Students will perform effective characterizations in a rehearsed duo or ensemble scene of 3-5 minutes.
- Students will demonstrate professional courtesy and behavior.
- Students will prepare and perform professional audition material.